Friday, July 16, 2010

Let me introduce myself

I love technology! I am a “gadget hound,” and eagerly adopt the latest, if I can afford it. There definitely are a lot of cool toys to play with in the sciences, and that drew me into studying chemistry. Computers now give everyone the power to do a lot yourself: publish, compose art, simplify the tedious, and even perform sophisticated calculations. My background is wide-ranging from my career in pharmaceutical discovery. I first become an expert with Word to write reports that combined text with pictures (beautiful chemical structures). Early in my career I jumped at a job with a company in San Diego that was a pioneer for computer assisted drug design. I often helped develop and test software for visualizing molecules and proteins. It was great when I got the chance to teach new software to my fellow scientists.

I always enjoyed teaching. Mostly I love explaining things, especially after learning how they work. In graduate school for chemistry as a teaching assistant, I first taught freshman chemistry classes of about twenty to thirty. We even got videotaped and critiqued twice a semester. Later I got to teach chemistry lab classes. A few years later, during my first chemistry job, I also got the opportunity to teach lab classes at Stanford, even lecture to seventy students. During my research career, I treated chances to present as teaching moments—the opportunity to unveil individual discoveries to a new, wider audience. Now the economy has given me the chance to teach again. Just a few months ago I decided to pursue a teaching credential. I missed getting into the single subject cohort for this September, so I am taking classes, CSETs, and getting more classroom experience to apply for fall of 2011.

From this EDUC 422 class, I hope to learn multimedia technology relevant to teaching and reaching kids. I have two school-aged sons and see how they learn very differently from me, using videos and creating content! My younger son learned PowerPoint last year in third grade, and his presentation was flashier than any of mine! I realize that my experience using technology is different than what is needed for teaching and student engagement. I have already learned a lot of nifty tricks in my first two classes!

From my prior life. Observed binding mode of synthetic molecule in enzyme carbonic anhydrase II. From Vernier, W., Chong, W., Rewolinski, D., Greasley, S., Pauly, T., Shaw, M., et al. (2010). Thioether benzenesulfonamide inhibitors of carbonic anhydrases II and IV: Structure-based drug design, synthesis, and biological evaluation. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 18(9), 3307-3319.

The following is a video of psychology professor Carol Dweck of Stanford discussing students that have a "growth" mindset better able to persist at a challenge versus those with a "fixed" mindset. I will no doubt write about this more in subsequent posts...

7 comments:

  1. loving your website. it's such a colorful and inviting website that I think anyone, whether they are a student, parent or teacher, would be your website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see another colleague in the class, teaching the same thing I will be. I have academic background in chemical engineering, with a degree in chemistry, and I worked for Revlon for a number of years through a polymer lab affiliate here in North County. I enjoyed it immensely, but I also longed for something else and now I've found it - teaching chemistry. Good choice, I'd say and I know you'd agree as teaching new generations is the most rewarding thing one can do in life.

    And thanks for all the links. Very informative.

    Neda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to education world. I'm not sure how it feels like to work in labs, but I think classrooms are very different. You have a lot of experience teaching adults. Teaching teenagers is different though.

    I hope to see you in the Single Subject program.

    R-J

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to say that the topic you picked--how we look at our minds--is very important.
    R-J

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you have integrated your love for science into teaching. I'm surprised that you at San Marcos to get your credential, since you said you have already taught with various age groups. Getting your credential will only add to your experience and knowledge, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Wes, great intro! You have a lot of experience in the field that you hope to teach, which is going to be great for your future students because you will be a wealth of information. Your dog is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wes: What an interesting topic. I have no doubt that "tweeking" praise in that way is far more effective than just saying, "you're smart." I've observed far too many people, young and old alike, who hit cruise control about the time their parents told them they were perfect. Often, those same people blame others, rather than themselves, when the world fails to deliver all the goodies they feel should be theirs. The trick, I guess, is to make it real and meaningful. Looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete